United Airlines Resumed Flights to Cuba After More Than Two Years
United resumed operations between the United States and Cuba after a suspension of more than two and a half years. The airline will provide the only non-stop service between the state of Texas and the Caribbean nation.
The carrier’s last operation in Cuba, was on March 28, 2020, on a service between Havana (HAV) and Houston (IAH) on Boeing 737-800 Next Generation. The company currently offers most of its services through its regional subsidiary United Express.
According to Reuters, United had asked the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) for a new deadline to start operations in Cuba, due to the logistical problem at José Martí International Airport (HAV) and the visa of its crew members.
On November 14 Flight UA 3542, which was operated in an Embraer E175 registered with registration number N722YX, took off from Newark-Liberty International Airport (EWR) at 10:46 local time and landed at José Martí International Airport (HAV) at 13:47, after three hours and five minutes.
On the other hand, Flight UA 6306 was operated by United Express, the aircraft took off from George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) at 11:22 local time and landed in Havana (HAV) at 14:42, after three hours and six minutes.
United is the fourth U.S. carrier to offer non-stop service to Cuba and the second airline to connect the Cuban capital with the New York metropolitan area.
Houston (IAH) – Havana (HAV)
- Flight UA 6306 IAH 10:15 – HAV 14:30 daily except Saturdays operated by United Express in Embraer E175.
- Flight UA 1506 IAH 11:15 – HAV 15:25 Saturday operated by United Airlines in Boeing 737-800 Next Generation.
Havana (HAV) – Houston (IAH)
- Flight UA 6307 HAV 15:30 – IAH 18:15 daily except Saturdays operated by United Express in Embraer E175.
- Flight UA 1506 IAH 15:05 – HAV 18:15 Saturday operated by United Airlines in Boeing 737-800 Next Generation.
Newark (EWR) – Havana (HAV)
- Flight UA 3542 EWR 10:04 – HAV 14:05 daily flights operated by United Express in Embraer E175.
Havana (HAV) – Newark (EWR)
- Flight UA 3543 HAV 15:05 – EWR 18:43 daily flights operated by United Express in Embraer E175.
United will have an offer of 2,308 weekly seats between Cuba and the United States in twenty-eight operations. The Chicago-based airline is the third largest airline operator in this segment in terms of seats per kilometers offered (ASK).
This article was originally published by Rainer Nieves Dolande on Aviacionline in syndication with AirlineGeeks.